So here's my version - twenty five random facts about me.
1. I was once asked to make Peter Andre's birthday cake, which would have been given to him on stage at his gig at the Picture House. But I couldn't handle the pop star pressure, so I said no!
2. I love animals so much and have had pets my whole life. I sort of don't trust people who don't like animals! If I won the lottery I would buy lots of land and set up a sanctuary for unwanted & mistreated pets.
3. When I was at university I worked in a cinema and absolutely loved it (I think it's the perfect student job!). I loved watching movies, talking about movies & getting paid to recommend movies, it was such a dream! These days I try to go to the cinema at least once every two weeks... once a week ideally!
4. My favourite book is Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson. I saw her talk at the Edinburgh Book Festival last year & it was one of the best events I've ever been to.
5. I cry at films SO easily, I'm a wuss. As well as crying at ridiculous films that don't really deserve a wail (er, Matrix 2...), I have also embarrassed Craig & various pals by crying for AGES after the film finishes (after watching The Fountain I cried for at least fifteen minutes on the walk home). Oh cringe.
|Hieroglyphs | L.A. | Brand New|
6. The first CD I ever bought was It's Like That by Run DMC vs Jason Nevins. I remember feeling SO cool playing it on my walkman, ha!
7. I love the Final Fantasy video games (top three favourites: eight, seven, nine). I can't even imagine how many hours of my life have been spent playing them.
8. I've always been fascinated by Egyptian history & mythology. In school I tried to teach myself hieroglyphs (badly), in university I took Archaeology for two years & recently I've studied the Pyramid Age & Hieroglyphs and Myths as evening classes. I am rubbish at languages though, so I still struggle to translate hieroglyphs in museums!
9. My favourite band is Brand New. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Simon and Garfunkel, Ani DiFranco, Jay Z & all of the terrible pop music they play on Radio One.
10. I have been to the following countries: America (to twenty one states), Switzerland, the Netherlands, Cuba, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Greece, China, New Zealand and Turkey. I thought I was quite well travelled until I got a scratch map & realised what a huge amount of the world was left to see.
11. When I was in primary school I had an operation to correct a muscle problem on my eye. After the surgery I had double vision for months, and was not allowed to read, write, or watch tv to avoid any strain on my eyes!
12. I am terrible and always bite my nails. That's why I like nail art so much, if I've spent hours painting my nails then I am much less likely to nibble them.
13. I'll eat almost anything, apart from seafood (fish suppers from the chip shop are the only exception to this rule!).
14. My ears used to be stretched (not much, only to about 6mm). I got them done when I was at uni & only took my plugs out a year or so ago (much to my mum's relief... who was convinced I'd need surgery to get them back to normal!).
15. I know a ridiculous amount of trivia about the Lord of the Rings films, due to watching every single programme & behind the scenes DVD that existed whilst procrastinating at uni!
16. I ran a cupcake company for two years (& was the very first cupcakery in Edinburgh!). I made cakes for weddings, birthdays & everything else you can imagine... on top of a full time job. My biggest order was for the new Topshop on Princes St - I baked 800 cupcakes that were handed out to customers on the opening day. I closed the business to focus on my magazine job, and don't regret it at all, but do wonder what life would be like if I had chosen cakes instead!
17. Whenever a Harry Potter film comes on TV I have to watch it... no matter how many times I have seen it before. One weekend over Christmas I watched the Deathly Hallows (both parts) two days in a row as they were being shown on Sky movies & I just couldn't resist.
18. One year I took part in the MoonWalk - an overnight marathon that raises money for Breast Cancer charities. I trained for ages, but sprained my foot badly two weeks before the walk & was so slow and sore... not something I'm keen to repeat!
19. When I was a teenager I was in love with Leonardo DiCaprio. I remember when Romeo & Juliet was released my best friend was super jealous because he said my name in the film. My dad even bought me a book, that just had photos of him swooning. Ha ha ha.
20. I've been to four out of the five Disneyland resorts (California, Florida, Paris & Hong Kong). I really want to visit Japan anyway, but while I'm there I'll have to go to Disney Tokyo to complete the set!
21. I have been going out with Craig for almost seven years. I knew he was a keeper when he told me Philip K. Dick was his favourite author. Aw!
22. I've been collecting old books for almost ten years. My favourites are those that have handwritten dedications inside them - I keep meaning to take photos of these & blog about them, some are over 100 years old.
23. When I was in Queenstown (New Zealand) I jumped off a 109m high cliff, freefalling for 60m. I used to think I was okay with heights, but it was the most terrifying thing I've ever done - making myself step over the edge of the cliff into empty space was SO hard!
24. I am terrified of sharks, and do my best to stay out of the sea (if I don't go in the sea then there's zero chance of being eaten alive!). I blame watching Jaws when I was quite wee for this massive phobia.
25. I have a brand new job which I'm starting today! It's goodbye to the very lovely List (where I worked for almost six years!) and hello to the Edinburgh International Science Festival. How exciting (if a bit scary, I have first day nerves!).